Thursday 21 March 2013

Squish the box.

As I'm exploring the distortion of steel I decided to move on from solid stock to box section (main reason being I had some left over in my tool box from last year), box is one of my favorite materials to forge, the shapes it produces I think are mesmerizing.Below are the images of work I did last year, they where made during the same project that had me produce the neon distorted panel, it was a choice between the use of solid stock and box on the final object but as it is hard to come by box below 100mm the solid stock won. (excuse bad images taken with phone)


This is definitely my favorite image.



More recently I have returned to box section in this project, I like the material because it shows off distortion really well, anything that differs from its normal square profile looks drastically different which I think is very affective. This object is very similar to the previous painted piece I made the other week, it consists of several lengths riveted together and flattened at one end using the power hammer, with the use of the box it has caused the edges of the material to pucker and I think it looks awesome.  I finished the distorted area with a brass wire brush to give it and interestingly different colouration.




No comments:

Post a Comment